What’s happening in Banská Bystrica?
Banská Bystrica is the most important historical, cultural and economic center of Central Slovakia. The most famous attractions are located in the historic district in and around the square of the Slovak National Uprising. Dominating the square is the clock tower, also called the “Leaning Tower” due to its 8-cm inclination; from the top of the tower you get a wonderful panorama view of the city and the surrounding mountains. The former Jesuit church of St. Francis Xavier became the Cathedral of the Diocese of Banská Bystrica at the end of the 18th century. Also found in the square is the Marian Column, a plague statue dating from the 18th century, a stone Art Nouveau fountain from the early 20th century and a black obelisk that was erected in honor of the Soviet soldiers who fell in 1945. In memory of the Slovak National Uprising, there is a museum with the same name that has a collection of military tanks, artillery, aircraft, etc., from the Second World War.
Many buildings around the square and the surrounding streets are town houses in Gothic, Renaissance or Baroque style, such as the Thurzo House, which accommodates the historical collection of the Museum of Central Slovakia. The city castle and the castle grounds on the edge of the square consist of the Gothic Assumption Church, the Matthias House, where an exhibition on the history of the city and Treasury are shown, the old town hall, in which the Štátna galéria (State Gallery) presents contemporary art, a vicarage and a fortification. Other museums in Banská Bystrica include Tihányi-Kastell in the district of Radvaň, which houses the scientific collection of the Museum of Central Slovakia, the Literárne a Hudobné múzeum (Museum of Literature and Music) and the Poštové múzeum (Postal Museum), the country’s only postal museum.