Webcam in St. Andreasberg8F3E5BE5-22B5-4FF9-AE3E-F5C4C22D0CE3
St. Andreasberg: the highest town in the Harz Mountains
As early as 1487, the German town of Sankt Andreasberg was first mentioned in documents as "sanct andrews berges". It has been part of the newly formed town of Braunlage in the district of Goslar since 2011. The national park municipality of Sankt Andreasberg also includes the somewhat distant districts of Silberhütte, Odertaler Sägemühle, Oderhaus, Oderberg, Oderbrück and Sonnenberg.
Mountain town surrounded by pure nature
Today, St. Andreasberg is known as a climatic health resort near the Harz National Park. It is picturesquely situated at an altitude of 600 to 900 meters and, especially in summer, is surrounded by wonderfully colorful mountain meadows in bloom - an absolute feast for the soul and the eyes. These meadows, just like the forests and mountains around St. Andreasberg, are under nature conservation.
An interesting fact: The steepest road in the entire Harz Mountains runs through the center of St. Andreasberg. And above the town on the Glockenberg Mountain is the yellow bell tower, the landmark of St. Andreasberg from where you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the surrounding area.
UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Upper Harz Mountains
For four centuries, the population of St. Andreasberg lived almost exclusively from mining, making the effective detour and storage of water absolutely necessary. The system created between the 16th and the 19th century, the Oberharzer Wasserwirtschaft (Oberharz Water Business) or the Oberharzer Wasserregal (Oberharz Water Shelf), is today considered the world's most important pre-industrial water management system. The facilities have been listed as a cultural monument since 1978. In 2010, they were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of their uniqueness. The facilities are still in operation today - mainly to maintain the historic cultural landscape.
Always something going on in St. Andreasberg
Boredom is definitely out of the question in this unique town: from mining to bird breeding - the offerings in Sankt Andreasberg are diverse. Everyone is guaranteed to find something exciting and interesting here - whether alone, as a couple or with the whole family and no matter what the weather is like:
- The Mining Museum Grube Samson with its visitor mine is one of the most important mining monuments in Europe: the mining technology from the 18th and 19th centuries is impressively explained to visitors. Some of the mining equipment is still in its original condition, rendering it particularly impressive.
- The Harz-Roller-Canary Museum is the canary museum at the Samson Mine. Visitors can learn everything about the Harz Roller, the so-called Harz bird, its origin and breeding at the time of mining in the Harz Mountains. These canary birds used to be bred by the miners in the Upper Harz, especially in Sankt Andreasberg, as a sideline job.
- The Sankt Andreasberg National Park House is located in the immediate vicinity of the Samson Visitor Mine: exhibitions, events and guided tours are offered. And: The world of bats can be explored in the new Bat Kingdom.
- The Sankt Andreasberg Observatory is the highest observatory in northern Germany. Here, nature, culture and science can be profoundly experienced - the sky can be observed by day and night. A special feature is that there is almost no "light pollution" at this location and it gets very dark at night: On many nights, the Milky Way or even the Andromeda Galaxy can be seen with the naked eye no telescope needed! In addition, there are lectures, practical introductions to sky observation, events for special astronomical events such as stargazing nights or comet sightings and more.
- The Training Mine Red Bear "Grube Roter Bär" served as an iron ore mine around 1800 until the 1860s. Today, the Sankt Andreasberg Historical Society operates the "Red Bear Mine" as a visitor mine.
- On the geological nature trail, a hiking trail of about 13 km in length, you can discover and experience all about the Sankt Andreasberg rock world. You should plan about three and a half hours for the hike. Start is at the Oderteich.
Adventure vacation in summer
Experience more - this is true in the mountain town of Sankt Andreasberg at any time of the year, but especially in summer the vacation time is usually not enough to experience all the offers. And the weather is also usually ideal to experience adventures in nature:
- Well signposted hiking trails with partially challenging, steep climbs and tricky trails.
- Ranger hikes through the Harz National Park
- Nordic Walking Park with three signposted tours
- A mountain bike and downhill park on the Matthias Schmidt Mountain with spectacular trails of various degrees of difficulty for beginners and advanced bikers: the bike park is known for its largely natural trails. Other bike parks nearby are Bikepark Braunlage, Racepark Schulenberg and Bikepark Hahnenklee.
- Super tip: the paintball facility, which also offers laser tag, guarantees a full load of adrenaline: Action and fun at its best are offered here on a total of 700 square meters and in a rustic, unique atmosphere.
- For all those who want to climb high and do some sports at the same time, there is a high rope garden course.
- The summer toboggan run offers not only tobogganing fun but also a wonderful view of the valley and the village. And the Matthias Baude, a rustic hut, offers guests tasty, typical Harz dishes.
- The Oderteich pond is just right for cooling off in hot summer weather.
Active vacation in winter in Sankt Andreasberg
The skiing area of Sankt Andreasberg awaits guests at the Matthias Schmidt Mountain. Covering an area of just under 25 hectares, this ski area offers the perfect winter sports experience for everyone, whether beginners or experienced skiers. Two chairlifts and two T-bar lifts provide safe and fast transport, there is regular floodlight skiing, a snow park and of course gastronomic offers. In addition, cross-country skiers can enjoy easy and sporty trails on the Matthias-Schmidt-Berg and the nearby Sonnenberg Mountain. In addition, a snowtubing facility offers fun for the whole family.
Harz Bed and Breakfast Werkmeister: experience the Harz and relax
Hotels, vacation apartments - there are many accommodations, but this Harz B&B is something very special: centrally located, amidst the natural idyll of the Upper Harz and on the outskirts of the charming town of St. Andreasberg, this Bed & Breakfast as only opened in 2017. It is run by passionate mountain bikers who have thus followed their hearts: The mountain bike and outdoor sports B&B offers everything for an adventure in the Harz mountains - as an ideal base camp for outdoor adventures: Uncomplicated, cozy - not like in a hotel, but like at home with good friends. The rooms are spacious with balcony/terrace – the mountain view included - and the common area is generous. The location is perfect without exaggeration: the B&B is located on the edge of the forest, in the morning a doe can stray into the garden and in the evening it is not far to the restaurants in town. Attention is also paid to a good breakfast with regional and organic products. And: The price-performance ratio is top. What else is there?
- Grill with all accessories
- Bike garage, bike wash & workshop
- Drying room with washing machine
- Chilled drinks & wine selection
- Dogs are welcome (on request)
What is the weather like in St. Andreasberg?
The best time to visit St. Andreasberg is from June to August. The temperatures are pleasant and there is hardly any precipitation. The highest average temperature in Sankt Andreasberg is a pleasant 23 degrees in July. The lowest temperatures are of course in January (about 2 degrees).
If you need an exact weather forecast: One click on our weather webcams is enough - whether it is rainy or sunny or cloudy: You are always on the live channel and well informed!